A facelift, or rhytidectomy, is a transformative procedure that addresses multiple signs of aging in the face and neck. As we age, our skin loses elasticity, collagen production decreases, and the underlying facial muscles weaken, leading to sagging skin, deep wrinkles, and a lack of facial definition. A facelift can reverse these effects by tightening the skin, repositioning facial fat, and restoring youthful contours.
At New York’s Greenberg Cosmetic Surgery & Dermatology, we prioritize patient comfort and safety. Under the guidance of esteemed surgeons Stephen T. Greenberg, Dr. Jason M. Weissler, and Dr. Stephanie A. Cooper, patients in New York can experience the highest standard of care in facial rejuvenation. Our friendly and knowledgeable staff will guide you through every step of your journey, providing exceptional treatment and support.
Imagine waking up each day to a refreshed, rejuvenated reflection that shows your vitality and confidence within. Let us bring your vision to life. Contact one of our 5 New York locations to schedule your consultation and embark on a transformative experience toward timeless beauty.
- 1 Before and After Photos
- 2 About Facial Aging
- 3 Types of Facelift
- 4 Benefits of a Facelift
- 5 Candidates for Facelift in New York
- 6 Personal Consultation
- 7 Other Facial Rejuvenation Procedures
- 8 How Much is a Facelift in New York?
- 9 FAQ
- 10 References
Before and After Photos
About Facial Aging
The face is the most visible and expressive part of our body, playing a significant role in how we perceive ourselves and how others perceive us. As we age, the signs of time become increasingly apparent on our faces. Wrinkles, sagging skin, loss of volume, and changes in facial contours can make us appear older and more tired than we feel inside.
Why Does Skin Become Saggy?
Facial skin becomes saggy due to several factors.
- Decreased Collagen and Elastin Production – Collagen and elastin are proteins that provide structure and elasticity to the skin. As we age, the production of these proteins slows down, causing the skin to lose its firmness and resilience. (1)
- Gravity – Over time, the effects of gravity become more pronounced, causing the skin to droop and sag. This is especially evident in areas such as the cheeks, jowls, and neck.
- Sun Exposure – UV light also plays a significant role in the development of sagging facial skin. Prolonged sun exposure can damage the skin’s collagen and elastin fibers, accelerating the aging process and leading to sagging and wrinkles.
- Changing Anatomy – Additionally, the loss of fat and muscle tone in the face contributes to sagging skin. As we age, the fat pads that give our face its youthful fullness begin to diminish, resulting in hollowed cheeks and sagging skin. The weakening of facial muscles also contributes to the loss of facial contour and definition.
- Genetics – Our genes can also influence the rate at which our facial skin becomes saggy. Some individuals may be genetically predisposed to have less collagen and elastin, making them more prone to sagging skin at an earlier age.
Thankfully, modern advancements in plastic surgery like the facelift have made it possible to reverse these signs of aging and restore a youthful and rejuvenated appearance.
What Can I Expect From A Facelift?
- Better jawline definition
- Diminished jowling
- Smoother, lifted cheek contours
- Reduced appearance of nasolabial folds
- Improved skin tightness in the neck
Types of Facelift
The traditional facelift is the gold standard in facial rejuvenation surgery popular with patients between the ages of 40 and 60. It addresses sagging skin, deep wrinkles, and loss of muscle tone by lifting and repositioning underlying tissues, removing excess skin, and tightening the remaining skin for a more youthful appearance.
During a facelift procedure, the surgeon makes strategically placed incisions to minimize visible scarring. The placement of these incisions may vary depending on the type of facelift being performed, though they usually follow the hairline behind the ears and partway down the neck. Through these incisions, excess skin is carefully lifted and tightened, underlying facial muscles are repositioned, and any excess fat or tissue is removed as needed. This comprehensive approach allows for a natural-looking rejuvenation, restoring a more youthful and refreshed appearance.
The mini facelift, also known as the short scar facelift is a less invasive option that targets mild to moderate signs of aging. As such, it is more popular with younger patients looking to stave off the aging process. It focuses on lifting and tightening the lower face and jowls, resulting in a refreshed and rejuvenated appearance with shorter incisions and a quicker recovery time.
Though not a facelift in the strictest sense of the word, the liquid facelift utilizes injectable treatments such as dermal fillers and neurotoxins to restore volume, smooth wrinkles, and enhance facial contours. It provides a cost-effective non-surgical option for those seeking subtle rejuvenation.
Benefits of a Facelift
Research shows that most facelift patients are extremely satisfied with their results. (2) With our expertise and meticulous approach, you can expect natural-looking results that will boost your self-confidence and leave you feeling rejuvenated.
- Enhanced Facial Appearance: A facelift at Greenberg Cosmetic Surgery & Dermatology can significantly improve the overall appearance of your face, providing a more balanced and harmonious aesthetic.
- Reduction of Wrinkles and Fine Lines: By tightening the underlying muscles and removing excess skin, a facelift effectively reduces the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines, and other signs of aging.
- Tightened and Lifted Skin: Dr. Greenberg’s technique lifts and tightens sagging skin, creating a smoother, firmer, and more youthful complexion.
- Improved Self-Confidence: As your facial appearance is enhanced and signs of aging are diminished, your self-confidence will receive a significant boost, allowing you to feel more comfortable and assured in social and professional settings.
- Long-lasting Results: While individual results may vary, a facelift performed by Dr. Greenberg is known for its long-lasting effects, allowing you to enjoy your rejuvenated appearance for years to come.
- Natural-looking Outcomes: Our meticulous surgical technique ensures that your facelift results appear natural and harmonize with your unique facial features, avoiding any artificial, “windswept” or overdone look.
Contact our practice at (516) 217-8120 to learn more about how a facelift at New York’s Greenberg Cosmetic Surgery & Dermatology can benefit you and to schedule a consultation at our conveniently located offices.
Candidates for Facelift in New York
The ideal candidate for a facelift is someone who is in good overall health, a non-smoker, and has realistic expectations for the outcome of the procedure. Age is not necessarily a limiting factor, as long as the individual is healthy enough to undergo surgery.
During your personalized consultation at one of our state-of-the-art New York facilities, we will thoroughly evaluate your facial anatomy, discuss your aesthetic goals, and develop a customized treatment plan. In addition to the facelift, we may recommend complementary procedures to achieve overall facial harmony and symmetry.
Other Facial Rejuvenation Procedures
The following procedures can be performed in conjunction with your facelift for the most comprehensive results.
Facial Fat Transfer
Facial fat transfer, also known as autologous fat grafting, is a minimally invasive procedure that is often performed as part of a facelift or as a standalone treatment for facial rejuvenation. This technique involves harvesting excess fat from one area of the body, such as the abdomen or thighs, and carefully injecting it into specific areas of the face where volume has been lost. One of the major benefits of facial fat transfer is that it utilizes your body’s own natural resources to achieve long-lasting and natural-looking results.
Blepharoplasty, also known as eyelid surgery or cosmetic eye surgery, is a transformative procedure that can enhance the appearance of the upper and lower eyelids. If you suffer from ptosis or drooping eyelids, blepharoplasty can provide significant improvement, complementing the effects of a facelift well. Through careful evaluation and meticulous surgical techniques, our surgeons can correct the position of the eyelids, restoring both functionality and aesthetics.
Factors such as weight fluctuations, genetics, and most commonly, the aging process can greatly impact the appearance of the neck. Frequently performed alongside a facelift, a neck lift can smooth and rejuvenate the neck. By tightening and toning the neck muscles, a neck lift contributes to a longer and more elegant appearance. Our surgeons’ expertise allows them to create natural-looking results that enhance the overall aesthetic of the neck, giving patients a more youthful and rejuvenated look.
How Much is a Facelift in New York?
The cost of a facelift surgery will depend on the specific techniques used and the extent of the procedure outlined in your personalized treatment plan. Reclaim your youthful radiance and embark on a journey towards natural-looking, long-lasting results. Contact us at (516) 217-8120 to schedule your consultation and embark on your journey toward a rejuvenated facial appearance.
How is a Facelift Procedure Performed?
During a facelift procedure, incisions are carefully placed around the hairline, temples, and ears to minimize scarring. The underlying facial muscles are then tightened, excess fat is removed or repositioned, and the skin is redraped and trimmed to create a smoother and firmer facial contour. The incisions are closed with sutures, and bandages or dressings are applied to aid in the healing process.
What is the Recovery Process Like After a Facelift?
After a facelift, patients can expect some swelling, bruising, and discomfort. Pain medication and cold compresses can help manage any postoperative discomfort. It is important to follow the surgeon’s post-operative instructions, which may include keeping the head elevated, avoiding strenuous activities, and attending follow-up appointments. Most patients are able to resume normal activities within two to three weeks, although complete healing can take several months.
Will There Be Noticeable Scarring After a Facelift?
While incisions are necessary during a facelift, an experienced plastic surgeon will strategically place them in areas that are easily concealed by natural hairlines and facial contours. Over time, the scars typically fade and become less noticeable. Following proper wound care instructions and avoiding sun exposure can also help optimize scar healing.
- Chaudhary M, Khan A, Gupta M. Skin Ageing: Pathophysiology and Current Market Treatment Approaches. Current Alzheimer Research. 2019;16. doi:https://doi.org/10.2174/1567205016666190809161115
- Sinno S, Schwitzer J, Anzai L, Thorne CH. Face-Lift Satisfaction Using the FACE-Q. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2015;136(2):239-242. doi:https://doi.org/10.1097/prs.0000000000001412