A facelift, also known as rhytidectomy, is a transformative surgical procedure that addresses signs of aging in the face and neck. As we age, our skin loses elasticity, facial muscles weaken, and fat deposits shift, leading to sagging skin, deep wrinkles, and loss of facial volume. A facelift is designed to reverse these effects, restoring a more youthful and rejuvenated appearance.
At Greenberg Cosmetic Surgery & Dermatology, Dr. Stephen T. Greenberg, a renowned double-boarded plastic surgeon, offers a range of facelift options to meet the unique needs and goals of each patient. Whether you are looking for a traditional facelift, mini facelift, or a minimally invasive non-surgical facelift, Dr. Greenberg employs advanced techniques to achieve natural-looking results.
Embark on your journey towards a more youthful and vibrant appearance. Contact Greenberg Cosmetic Surgery & Dermatology at (516) 217-8120 to schedule a consultation with Dr. Stephen Greenberg. Our offices in Smithtown, Southampton, Woodbury, Scarsdale, New York City, Princeton, and Boca Raton provide a comfortable and welcoming environment where you can discuss your goals and explore the various facelift options available to you.
- 1 Before and After Photos
- 2 About the Facelift
- 3 What is a Mini Facelift?
- 4 Benefits of a Facelift
- 5 Candidates for a Facelift
- 6 Personal Consultation
- 7 Preparing for a Facelift
- 8 Facelift Procedure
- 9 Recovery & Results
- 10 Non-Surgical Facelift Alternatives
- 11 Cost of a Facelift on Long Island
- 12 FAQ
- 13 References
Before and After Photos
About the Facelift
With the passage of time, age and external factors can take a toll on our facial appearance. This leads to sagging skin, deep wrinkles, and loss of facial volume. Fortunately, advancements in plastic surgery have provided us with various options to restore and rejuvenate the face, helping individuals achieve a more youthful and refreshed appearance. Considered one of the most comprehensive procedures available, the facelift reigns supreme when it comes to facial rejuvenation.
Over 125,000 facelift procedures take place in the United States every year. (1) A traditional facelift is designed to address moderate to severe signs of facial aging and is one of the only procedures able to do so effectively. This comprehensive approach targets sagging skin, deep creases, jowls, and excess fat deposits in the lower face and neck. During the procedure, a surgeon carefully places incisions within the natural contours of the face, allowing for discreet scarring. They then tighten underlying tissues and muscles, remove excess fat, and re-drape the skin for a smoother, more lifted appearance. A traditional facelift provides long-lasting results, revitalizing the entire face and restoring a more youthful contour.
What is a Mini Facelift?
For patients who have mild to moderate facial sagging and desire a less invasive option, a mini facelift may be the ideal solution. This procedure focuses on improving the appearance of specific areas such as the cheeks, jowls, and neck. With smaller incisions and a shorter recovery period compared to a traditional facelift, a mini facelift offers a more targeted approach to facial rejuvenation. Through careful tightening of the underlying tissues and removal of excess skin, a mini facelift can provide significant improvement in facial contours and reduce the signs of aging.
Benefits of a Facelift
Whether you are considering a traditional facelift or a mini facelift, Dr. Greenberg’s expertise and personalized approach ensure natural-looking results that enhance your appearance. The facelift has many benefits, including but not limited to the following.
- Restores facial contours
- Lifts and tightens tissues
- Reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Eliminates deep folds
- Improves facial symmetry
- Boosts self-confidence
- Provides comprehensive, long-lasting results
Candidates for a Facelift
Candidates for a facelift are individuals seeking cosmetic surgery to address signs of aging, such as wrinkles, sagging skin, and loss of facial contour. This procedure is suitable for both men and women who desire facial rejuvenation and improvement in their facial aesthetics.
The age of a candidate and the elasticity of their skin play a role in determining the results of a facelift. Generally, younger individuals with good skin elasticity tend to achieve more favorable outcomes compared to older individuals with significant skin laxity. However, age alone does not preclude someone from getting a facelift, as long as they are in good overall health.
Certain medical conditions can increase the risks associated with surgery, making a facelift unsuitable for some individuals. Conditions such as uncontrolled high blood pressure, diabetes, or autoimmune disorders may affect the body’s ability to heal properly and increase the risk of complications during surgery. It is crucial to discuss your medical history thoroughly with Dr. Greenberg to determine if you are a suitable candidate for a facelift procedure.
By choosing a facelift at Greenberg Cosmetic Surgery & Dermatology, you can expect personalized care and attention to detail. He will thoroughly assess your facial structure, discuss your desired outcomes, and develop a customized treatment plan tailored to your specific needs. With his expertise and artistic approach, Dr. Greenberg strives to achieve natural-looking results that enhance your unique features, boost your confidence, and turn back the hands of time.
Preparing for a Facelift
- Blood tests and other diagnostic screenings: To ensure your overall health and well-being, we may request blood tests and other diagnostic screenings. These tests help identify any underlying issues that could affect your surgery or recovery.
- Medication review and adjustment: It is important to disclose all medications, supplements, and herbal remedies you are currently taking. Certain medications, such as blood thinners, will need to be temporarily discontinued or adjusted prior to surgery to minimize the risk of complications.
- Smoking cessation: Smoking can significantly impair healing and increase the risk of complications. In fact, research explicitly states that 100% cessation of nicotine dramatically reduces complication rates. (2) Patients must quit smoking at least four weeks before their facelift and continue to abstain throughout the recovery period.
- Alcohol avoidance: Alcohol consumption can interfere with the body’s natural healing processes. We recommend avoiding alcohol for at least one week before and after your surgery.
- Transportation & chaperone: It is important to arrange reliable transportation to and from our office as you will not be able to drive yourself. We recommend choosing a trusted individual to spend the first 24 hours at home with you.
To ensure your comfort during the procedure, we will administer anesthesia. Dr. Greenberg will carefully select the appropriate type of anesthesia based on your individual case, ensuring you are relaxed and pain-free throughout the surgery.
Dr. Greenberg will strategically place incisions in inconspicuous areas, such as within the hairline or around the natural contours of the ears, to minimize visible scarring. The exact incision pattern will depend on the extent of correction required. Through the incisions, Dr. Greenberg will gently lift and reposition the underlying facial tissues, including muscles and fat pads. This step helps to restore volume, smooth out wrinkles, and create a more defined facial contour.
If necessary, Dr. Greenberg may tighten the underlying facial muscles to provide additional support and create long-lasting results. This technique can effectively address sagging jowls and improve overall facial definition. Once the underlying structures have been addressed, Dr. Greenberg will skillfully redrape the skin, ensuring it is smooth and taut.
To secure the lifted tissues and achieve optimal healing, Dr. Greenberg will use sutures or staples to close the incisions with meticulous precision.
Recovery & Results
Dr. Greenberg and his dedicated team will provide you with detailed instructions on how to care for your incisions, manage any discomfort, and ensure a smooth recovery process. It is normal to experience some degree of swelling and bruising in the initial days following the procedure. To manage this, we recommend keeping your head elevated above your heart when resting, as it helps reduce swelling. Additionally, Dr. Greenberg may prescribe medication to alleviate any discomfort you may experience during this time.
It is crucial to refrain from applying ice directly to the treated area, as it can impede proper blood flow and hinder the healing process. However, our team will provide you with detailed instructions on how to manage swelling effectively. During the recovery period, it is important to attend follow-up appointments scheduled with Dr. Greenberg. These appointments allow him to monitor your progress and provide personalized guidance for your healing journey.
Non-Surgical Facelift Alternatives
For those seeking non-surgical options or who may not be ready for a surgical procedure, we offer a wide range of less-invasive treatments and alternatives to facelift surgery.
- Liquid Facelift – The Liquid Facelift uses dermal filler injections to smooth out wrinkles, restore lost volume, and enhance facial contours, This provides a refreshed and rejuvenated appearance.
- Morpheus8 – Morpheus8, is a fractional radiofrequency device that delivers heat deep into the skin to tighten and contour the face. This treatment targets both the superficial layers and deeper tissues, resulting in improved skin texture and a more defined facial structure.
- PDO Thread Lift – A PDO Thread Lift is a minimally invasive procedure that uses absorbable sutures to lift and reposition sagging facial tissues. These threads are made of polydioxanone (PDO), a substance found in other biomedical applications, such as cardiothoracic surgery. This treatment provides immediate results and stimulates collagen production for long-term improvement.
- Ultherapy – Ultherapy is another popular choice for those seeking non-surgical facelift alternatives. This FDA-approved treatment uses ultrasound energy to stimulate collagen production, lifting and tightening the skin naturally over time. It is particularly effective for treating loose skin on the neck, chin, and brow areas.
Our experienced team will assess your unique concerns and recommend the most suitable non-surgical facelift alternatives to help you achieve your desired results with minimal downtime.
Cost of a Facelift on Long Island
If you’re considering a facelift and would like to learn more about the cost of a procedure on Smithtown, Southampton, Woodbury, Scarsdale, New York City, Princeton, and Boca Raton, we invite you to contact Greenberg Cosmetic Surgery & Dermatology. As is the case with most of our surgical procedures, financing may be available to qualified candidates. You can reach us at (516) 217-8120 to schedule your personal consultation with us. You can also read our blog for more information about our surgical procedures.
How long does it take to recover from a facelift?
While every patient’s recovery timeline may vary, most individuals can typically resume non-strenuous work after approximately two weeks. However, if your occupation involves rigorous physical activity, it is recommended to wait until you receive clearance from your surgeon.
Can a facelift address neck concerns?
Yes, a facelift can address neck concerns to some extent. While a facelift primarily targets the lower face and jowls, it can also improve the appearance of the neck by tightening loose skin and underlying muscles. For individuals with significant neck laxity or excess fat, combining a facelift with a neck lift procedure can provide more comprehensive rejuvenation.
Is a facelift the only option for effective facial rejuvenation?
No, a facelift is not the only option for effective facial rejuvenation. Non-surgical facelift treatments, such as Liquid Facelifts and Ultherapy can provide temporary improvement in the appearance of wrinkles and sagging. These treatments offer convenience and minimal downtime but may require regular maintenance sessions to sustain results.
- Rohrich RJ, Sinno S, Vaca EE. Getting Better Results in Facelifting. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery – Global Open. 2019;7(6):e2270. doi:https://doi.org/10.1097/gox.0000000000002270
- Caplin DA, Perlyn CA. Facelifts: A Contemporary Perspective. Missouri Medicine. 2010;107(3):195-197. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6188335/