A tummy tuck, also known as abdominoplasty, is a plastic surgery procedure that removes excess skin and fat, as well as tightening the underlying muscles in the abdomen. It is an effective solution for individuals who struggle with loose or sagging skin, abdominal muscle weakness, and stubborn pockets of fat resistant to diet and exercise.
- 1 Before and After Photos
- 2 About Tummy Tuck
- 3 Benefits of a Tummy Tuck
- 4 Candidates for a Tummy Tuck
- 5 Personal Consultation
- 6 How is Tummy Tuck Preparation and Recovery?
- 7 Cost of a Tummy Tuck on Long Island
- 8 FAQ
- 9 References
Before and After Photos
At Greenberg Cosmetic Surgery & Dermatology, Dr. Stephen T. Greenberg specializes in performing tummy tucks with meticulous precision and artistry. With his expertise and experience, he can help you achieve a flatter, firmer, and more toned abdomen, restoring your confidence and enhancing your body contour.
If you are considering a tummy tuck or would like to learn more about this transformative procedure, we encourage you to contact our practice at (516) 217-8120. Consultations are available at our New York City location in Manhattan, our office in Scarsdale, or one of our three offices in Southampton, Smithtown, or Woodbury on Long Island. Our staff will be happy to assist you in scheduling a consultation with Dr. Greenberg to explore your options and begin your journey toward a more confident and rejuvenated you.
About Tummy Tuck
The abdomen is a central and prominent part of our body, and its appearance can greatly influence our self-confidence and overall satisfaction with our physical appearance. Factors such as pregnancy, significant weight loss, aging, and genetics can contribute to the development of excess abdominal skin, stubborn belly fat, and weakened abdominal muscles. When diet and exercise alone are not enough to achieve a flatter and more toned abdomen, a tummy tuck may be the solution to help you achieve your desired aesthetic goals.
What is Diastasis Recti?
Diastasis recti occurs when the connective tissue between the abdominal muscles stretches or weakens, causing them to separate. This condition is particularly common among women who have experienced pregnancy, as the growing uterus puts pressure on the abdominal wall. Research indicates that an estimated 33% of women continue to suffer from diastasis recti 12 months after giving birth. (1) As a result, individuals with the condition may notice a protruding belly or “pooch”, weakened core muscles, and difficulty achieving a toned abdomen despite exercise and healthy lifestyle habits.
While nonsurgical treatments like physical therapy and targeted exercises can help strengthen the abdominal muscles, they may not be sufficient for individuals with severe diastasis recti or excess skin in the abdominal area. In such cases, a tummy tuck can provide a comprehensive solution.
Who is a Tummy Tuck For?
Tummy tucks are particularly popular among women who have undergone pregnancy and childbirth, as they can help restore their pre-pregnancy figures. However, this procedure is not limited to post-pregnancy makeovers and can benefit both men and women who desire a smoother, more defined abdominal area.
Benefits of a Tummy Tuck
- Enhanced body contouring: Tummy tuck surgery is designed to reshape and sculpt your abdomen, creating a more proportionate and attractive figure. Dr. Greenberg’s expertise ensures that your results are natural-looking and tailored to your unique situation.
- Improved posture: Weakened abdominal muscles can lead to poor posture and back pain. A tummy tuck tightens these muscles, helping to improve your core strength and overall posture. Say goodbye to discomfort and hello to a more aligned and confident stance.
- Reduced stretch marks: Stretch marks on the abdomen can be a source of frustration for many individuals. During a tummy tuck procedure, these stretch marks are often removed or significantly minimized, resulting in smoother and more even-toned skin.
- Expanded clothing options: After undergoing a tummy tuck, you’ll be able to confidently wear fitted clothing and swimwear that showcases your newly flatter and firmer abdomen. Enjoy the freedom to express your personal style without any hesitation.
- Motivation for a healthier lifestyle: The transformative effects of a tummy tuck can serve as powerful motivation to adopt and maintain a healthy diet and exercise routine.
- Improved quality of life: For individuals struggling with a protruding abdomen, a tummy tuck can be truly life-changing. It empowers you to engage in activities and experiences that you may have previously avoided due to self-consciousness, leading to an overall improved quality of life.
With proper maintenance and a healthy lifestyle, the results of a tummy tuck can last for many years. Dr. Greenberg’s expertise ensures that your sculpted abdomen remains a defining feature of your physique, allowing you to enjoy lasting satisfaction.
Candidates for a Tummy Tuck
Candidates for a tummy tuck are individuals who are seeking to improve the appearance of their abdomen and achieve a more toned and contoured physique. Tummy tuck procedures are available to a wide range of patients who may be experiencing the effects of aging, pregnancy hormonal changes, significant weight gain or loss, or prior surgeries. (2)
Despite its availability to many, abdominoplasty is not suitable for patients with serious health conditions such as cardiopulmonary disease, cirrhosis (chronic liver damage), and uncontrolled diabetes. (3) Smoking, in all its forms, is a significant contraindication to undergoing a tummy tuck procedure. To ensure the best possible outcomes and reduce the risk of complications, Dr. Greenberg requires that patients refrain from smoking for at least six weeks before and after their tummy tuck procedure. This time frame allows for the elimination of nicotine and other harmful substances from the body, allowing blood circulation to improve and promoting healthier tissue healing.
During your consultation, Dr. Greenberg will take the time to understand your specific concerns and goals. This includes discussing any previous surgeries or medical history that may impact the procedure. By thoroughly examining your abdominal area, he will assess the extent of excess fat, loose skin, and muscle laxity. This evaluation allows him to determine whether a tummy tuck is the right solution for you and whether your surgery is a standalone procedure or part of a more comprehensive Mommy Makeover.
If you are considering a tummy tuck or have any inquiries regarding the procedure, we encourage you to contact our office at (516) 217-8120 to schedule your personal consultation with Dr. Greenberg in New York City, Scarsdale, or Long Island.
How is Tummy Tuck Preparation and Recovery?
Preparing for a Tummy Tuck
Dr. Greenberg will provide you with specific instructions to follow in the days leading up to your tummy tuck. This may include guidelines on fasting, avoiding certain medications or supplements, and refraining from certain activities. It is crucial to adhere to these instructions to minimize any potential risks.
If you are taking any medications, particularly those that thin the blood, Dr. Greenberg may advise you to adjust or temporarily stop them before the surgery. This is done to reduce the risk of complications and ensure optimal healing.
Smoking can significantly impair the healing process and increase the risk of complications. Patients must quit smoking at least six weeks prior to the tummy tuck and continue to refrain from smoking during the recovery period.
Tummy Tuck Recovery
Patients should arrange for a trusted adult to drive them home after their procedure and assist them around the house for the first 48 hours of their recovery. After a tummy tuck, patients should expect some discomfort, swelling, and bruising in the treated area. We may prescribe pain medication and compression garments to help manage these symptoms and support the healing process.
It is important to follow all post-operative instructions provided by Dr. Greenberg, including restrictions on physical activity and proper wound care. The recovery period can vary from patient to patient, but most individuals can return to work and light activities within a week or two and resume normal exercise routines after several weeks.
Cost of a Tummy Tuck on Long Island
The cost of a tummy tuck procedure at Greenberg Cosmetic Surgery & Dermatology will vary based on several factors that are unique to each patient. During your personal consultation with Dr. Greenberg, he will carefully assess your individual needs and goals in order to develop a customized treatment plan tailored specifically for you.
Factors that can influence the cost of a tummy tuck include the techniques utilized, the complexity and extent of the surgery required, the type of anesthesia used, facility fees, and any additional procedures that may be combined with the abdominoplasty.
Achieve a more sculpted and toned abdomen with a tummy tuck. Contact us at (516) 217-8120 to schedule your personal consultation with Dr. Greenberg at his Manhattan, Scarsdale, or Long Island offices.
To find out more about tummy tucks and other procedures offered at Greenberg Cosmetic Surgery & Dermatology, read our blog.
Will there be scarring after a tummy tuck?
As with any surgical procedure, scarring is inevitable. However, the incision for a tummy tuck is strategically placed low on the abdomen, below the bikini line, to ensure that the scar is easily concealed by underwear or swimwear. Over time, the scar will fade and become less noticeable.
Can a tummy tuck be combined with other procedures?
Yes, a tummy tuck can be combined with other procedures to enhance overall body contouring results. Commonly performed combination surgeries include liposuction to further sculpt the waist and hips or a breast augmentation or lift for a complete Mommy Makeover transformation. Your surgeon will discuss the possibilities and suitability of combining procedures during your consultation.
- Cavalli M, Aiolfi A, Bruni PG, et al. Prevalence and risk factors for diastasis recti abdominis: a review and proposal of a new anatomical variation. Hernia. 2021;25(4):883-890. doi:https://doi.org/10.1007/s10029-021-02468-8
- Klinger M, Klinger F, Giannasi S, et al. Aesthetic and Functional Abdominoplasty: Anatomical and Clinical Classification based on a 12-year Retrospective Study. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Global Open. 2021;9(12):e3936. doi:https://doi.org/10.1097/GOX.0000000000003936
- Regan JP, Casaubon JT. Abdominoplasty. PubMed. Published 2023. Accessed September 18, 2023. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK431058/#:~:text=Patients%20with%20minimal%20to%20moderate