A Breast Reduction Can Help You Live Your Active Lifestyle in Greater Comfort
If overly large breasts are causing you discomfort, Dr. Stephen Greenberg can perform breast reduction surgery at his offices, serving Long Island, NY, Manhattan, and the greater New York City area. Breast reductions, technically known as reduction mammaplasties, are designed for women with large, pendulous breasts. The procedure involves the removal of fat, glandular tissue, and skin from the breasts, making them smaller, lighter, and firmer. The procedure can also reduce the size of the areola, the dark skin surrounding the nipple. With Dr. Greenberg's expert care, you can achieve the silhouette you want and relieve painful side effects of large breasts.
Best Candidates for Breast Reduction
Women with very large, pendulous breasts may experience a variety of medical problems caused by the excess weight, ranging from back and neck pain and skin irritation to skeletal deformities and breathing problems. Bra straps may leave indentations on the shoulders, and unusually large breasts can make a woman or teenage girl feel extremely self-conscious.
Breast reductions are best for women who have:
- Breasts out of proportion to the body
- Pain due to breast size, which usually involves the neck, back, and shoulders
- Shoulder grooving from the bra
- Skin irritation beneath the breasts
- Restricted activity
- Uneven breast size
The ability to breast-feed following this procedure is variable, and unpredictable. Patients should consider their future plans for childbearing before undergoing this surgery.
Your Breast Reduction Consultation
Breast reduction surgery offers many benefits, and the overall goal is to help women achieve smaller breasts that are more proportional to their bodies. During your breast reduction consultation, Dr. Greenberg will review your anatomy and symptoms. He will explain in detail the options for breast reductions and the possible incisions that may be used. If your overly-large breasts are a result of excess body weight, it is important that your weight is stable and that a weight loss program has been attempted.
In most cases, breast reductions are performed after the breasts are fully developed. Dr. Greenberg typically performs breast reductions at one of his surgical centers in about one to two hours, depending on the extent of the procedure. The basic steps to expect during your breast reduction will include:
- Anesthesia: Before beginning the procedure, we will administer general anesthesia so you are completely comfortable throughout the entire procedure.
- Incisions: Typically, incisions are made in one to three locations: around the nipple, from the nipple to the chest wall, or under the breast and along the infra-mammary crease. The size and location of the incisions is dependent on the amount of tissue being removed and whether you are combining your procedure with a breast lift.
- Breast Reduction: Once the incisions have been made, Dr. Greenberg will remove glandular tissue, fat, and excess skin. Liposuction is sometimes used during breast reductions to remove excessive fatty tissue near the axilla (armpit) area.
- Breast Lift: For women desiring a breast lift in addition to reduction, Dr. Greenberg will lift and reshape your breast tissue and reposition the nipple and areola to provide a perkier and more youthful bustline.
- Nipple Placement: If a breast lift is not necessary, the nipple will be placed back in its normal position. During this step, Dr. Greenberg can reduce the size of the areola for a more proportionate appearance.
- Sutures and Bandages: After completing the procedure, Dr. Greenberg will close the incisions and apply compression bandages. In some cases, drains may be placed to remove blood and excess fluid. These will need to be emptied as directed by Dr. Greenberg, and are generally removed after one to two days.
What to Expect During Recovery
Depending on the complexity of your procedure, you may require an overnight stay in our private, state-of-the-art facility. Patients are provided with a special support sports bra, which is worn for several weeks as directed by Dr. Greenberg. As with any major surgery, recovery will take time and it is imperative that you follow all postoperative instructions given to you by the staff at Greenberg Cosmetic Surgery, to ensure you heal smoothly. Basic steps and considerations for you to expect include:
- Weeks 1-3: During this time, you will experience some soreness, swelling, and bruising. Keeping your torso elevated, taking prescribed pain medications, and applying cold compresses as directed can help minimize discomfort. Unless you have a highly strenuous job, you can plan on returning to work within 10 to 14 days. After about two weeks, sutures will be removed. Be sure to avoid any vigorous activity and heavy lifting for several weeks.
- Weeks 4-6: As you change clothes and compression garments, gentle caution should be used when handling your breasts so as not to create additional discomfort. In most cases, you can resume heavy physical activity four to six weeks after surgery.
- Months 1-6: With time, swelling and soreness will begin to subside. Although Dr. Greenberg is meticulous about making incisions as discreetly as possible, you may experience some mild scarring, but they will typically be hidden by a bra or swimsuit. As you continue to heal, you will begin to enjoy your results even more. Complete healing and final results can take up to one year as your breasts settle into their new shape.
Having your procedure performed by a board-certified cosmetic plastic surgeon, such as Dr. Greenberg, will significantly reduce your chances for complications.
Common Risks and Side Effects
Although breast reduction is considered a safe and common procedure, the potential for risks and complications is always possible. Possible risks can include:
- Excessive bleeding or hematomas
- Allergic reaction to anesthesia
- Asymmetrical breasts or nipples
- Numbness, tingling, or loss of feeling in your breasts and nipples
- Unpleasant scars
- Inability to breastfeed
- Blood clots
Having your procedure performed by a board-certified cosmetic plastic surgeon, such as Dr. Greenberg, can significantly reduce your chances for complications. With his experience and expertise, Dr. Greenberg is nationally renowned for delivering satisfying, natural-looking results.
Schedule Your Appointment Today
You can view before and after photos of breast lifts to see the stunning results that the doctor delivers. We look forward to helping you achieve your cosmetic goals for a rejuvenated physique and a new figure. Find out more about breast lifts, their benefits, and the associated costs by contacting us online or calling us at (516) 364-4200 to schedule your complimentary consultation.
Get in Touch
461 Park Ave S
Manhattan, NY 10016(212) 319-4999
160 Crossways Park Dr
Woodbury, NY 11797(516) 364-4200
365 County Rd 39A Ste 7
Southampton, NY 11968(631) 287-4999
Boca Raton Office
1599 NW 9th Avenue
Boca Raton, FL 33486(561) 208-1080