Carefully Guided Tummy Tuck Recovery From a Doctor You Can Trust
To ensure that you achieve the very best results, Dr. Stephen T. Greenberg will guide you through your tummy tuck recovery following your procedure at our Manhattan, NYC, facility. We recognize choosing a tummy tuck surgeon is a serious decision, and it is extremely important to us that you are comfortable during every step of your cosmetic procedure and recovery. Dr. Greenberg, known for his expertise in the field of cosmetic surgery, has been successfully performing tummy tuck surgeries safely and effectively for many years. Considered a major cosmetic procedure, your tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) will require diligent postoperative care. However, you can expect to achieve a smooth recovery with minimal risks, soon returning to your daily activities with a beautifully contoured abdomen.
What to Expect After Your Tummy Tuck
At Greenberg Cosmetic Surgery, we understand that excess skin and fat can be extremely frustrating, especially if you consistently exercise and eat healthy. In such cases, Dr. Greenberg is trained and equipped to perform a safe and effective tummy tuck, where he will remove the excess fat and skin. If necessary, can also repair weakened abdominal muscles.
Considered a major cosmetic procedure, your tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) will require diligent postoperative care.
After your surgery is performed, Dr. Greenberg will give you postoperative instructions. If you follow these guidelines carefully, you can expect a full recovery in a matter of months. During your recovery, it is vital that you:
- Get enough rest
- Attend follow-up appointments to monitor progress
- Drink plenty of water to minimize bloating and constipation
- Take medication as prescribed to minimize pain and discomfort
- Regularly ice to avoid inflammation
- Empty surgical drains two or three times a day to avoid infection
- Wear your compression garment for at least a month
- Limit sodium intake to minimize swelling
- Sleep with your head and shoulders elevated
- Walk daily to prevent blood clots
To minimize pain, discomfort, and infection, it is very important that you avoid certain foods and activities, such as:
- Showering for two to three days, or until cleared by the doctor
- Alcohol or smoking for at least two weeks after surgery
- Tight fitting clothing around waist and stomach
- Strenuous daily activity and exercise
- Processed foods and soda
- Driving until cleared by the doctor
Tummy Tuck Recovery Timeline
Each patient responds to surgery differently, but below is an outlined timeline we give our patients to better understand tummy tuck recovery. We also recommend that you have someone stay with you to assist you the first few nights.
- Days 1-2: Ice and take medication as directed. You can expect bloating, swelling, and mild discomfort in your abdominal area. Return 24 hours after surgery so Dr. Greenberg can empty your drains and monitor your progress.
- Week 1: Continue to ice, take medication, empty drains, and wear your compression garment. You can expect mild discomfort, bruising, and swelling.
- Weeks 2-3: Dr. Greenberg will remove your sutures and drains, and you can begin scar treatment. You may still have some swelling, but pain and bruising will fade. If you are responding well to treatment, you can expect release to drive and return to work.
- Months 1-3: You can begin light exercise four weeks after surgery, but continue avoiding strenuous exercise until week six. As your abdomen begins to feel more normal, you will notice a boost in energy.
- Months 3-6: Depending on the type of tummy tuck you had performed, or if you combined your procedure with liposuction, an arm lift, or thigh lift, it could take six months to a year before you completely heal.
Final Results and Scarring
Due to what is involved in a tummy tuck procedure, scars are unavoidable. However, Dr. Greenberg is a qualified surgeon who is passionate about delivering natural-looking results for his patients. He will make your incisions in such a way that they are easily hidden by your underwear or swimsuit. With time, your scars will flatten and fade.
Selecting Dr. Greenberg and his team and diligently following your postoperative care will ensure minimal scarring and a quick recovery with results you are happy with.
Contact Us For More Information
Get in Touch
461 Park Ave S
Manhattan, NY 10016(212) 319-4999
160 Crossways Park Dr
Woodbury, NY 11797(516) 364-4200
365 County Rd 39A Ste 7
Southampton, NY 11968(631) 287-4999
Boca Raton Office
1599 NW 9th Avenue
Boca Raton, FL 33486(561) 208-1080