Mention breast augmentation to the average person, and there’s a good chance that he or she will automatically think of large, voluptuous breasts. In many cases, however, bigger is not better. The ideal size of breast implant varies according to a woman’s frame, not to mention her aesthetic goals. For some patients of our plastic surgery practice in Manhattan, small breast implants are preferable to their larger counterparts.
Breast implant size is very personal choice. Dr. Stephen T. Greenberg works closely with each patient to help her understand her options and the advantages and disadvantages of each. As with any treatment option, small breast implants have their own unique pros and cons.
The Benefits of Small Breast Implants
For certain women, small breast implants offer a wealth of advantages, including:
- A more subtle enhancement: For women who want to add just a little more volume to their breasts in order to fine-tune their figures, small breast implants can produce subtle, extremely natural-looking results.
- Less chance of unwanted attention: Smaller breast implants are less likely to draw unwanted attention, not only from strangers but from friends, co-workers, and family members. If your goal is not to dramatically enhance your figure, small breast implants may be a superior choice.
- Less of a “learning curve”: Many women who increase the size of their breasts substantially aren’t prepared for the adjustments they end up having to make. Larger breasts can make certain athletic and other activities more difficult, and the added weight can affect posture and cause back pain.
- Shorter recovery period: Although this isn’t true in every case, patients who have smaller implants placed often experience a shorter, more comfortable healing period.
- Less pain: Going from having no breast implants to having very large implants can initially be painful. Discomfort tends to be less intense and subside more quickly with smaller implants.
- More realistic proportions: Patients who are going for a more natural look should select implants that are sized to complement their natural proportions. Disproportionately large breasts will not look as natural, even if the surgery is performed flawlessly. They will also make finding well-fitting clothing difficult.
The Drawbacks of Small Breast Implants
The only real disadvantage to small breast implants is that some women aren’t wholly satisfied with their results and wish that they had gone larger. While it is possible to undergo a second surgery and have larger implants placed, it is better to achieve the desired results the first time around. That’s why it is important to establish realistic expectations and have clear, well-defined goals before undergoing breast augmentation.
Learn More about the Pros and Cons of Small Breast Implants
Dr. Greenberg’s years of experience, extensive training, and keen artistic eye enable him to provide his patients with valuable guidance and insight as they consider their plastic surgery options. If you would like to learn more about the pros and cons of small breast implants, or to schedule your initial consultation with one of the nation’s foremost plastic surgeons, please contact Greenberg Cosmetic Surgery today.
Last Updated on