Restore Your Figure and Confidence with Natural Breast Reconstruction
A diagnosis of breast cancer can be a devastating experience for anyone to go through. Surgical removal of one or both breasts is often the recommended treatment to restore health to the body. Many patients have found that breast reconstruction surgery can help restore their figure and their self-esteem. Some patients would like to undergo reconstruction but would like to use tissue from their own bodies rather than having breast implants placed. Fortunately, we are able to provide our patients with several options for natural breast reconstruction at our Long Island cosmetic surgery practice. Dr. Stephen T. Greenberg is a nationally renowned surgeon who is frequently recommended for his expertise in advanced surgical techniques. If you have had one or both breasts surgically removed and would like to learn more about natural techniques to restore your silhouette, please contact our office to schedule a consultation with Dr. Greenberg. We offer compassionate care, and can help you make informed decisions during this difficult time.
Natural Breast Reconstruction Techniques
With natural breast reconstruction, Dr. Greenberg will use skin, muscle, and fatty tissue from other areas of the body to reconstruct the breast. There are several different techniques available:
- Transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous (TRAM) flap - This technique involves an incision made across the lower belly from one hip to the other. Dr. Greenberg will loosen the skin, muscle, and fat in this area and move it into position to create the new breast. If the existing blood vessels are left attached to the tissue, it is known as a pedicle flap procedure. In some cases, patients are better suited to a free flap procedure where the tissue is removed from the existing blood supply and reattached to vessels behind the breastbone.
- Latissimus dorsi flap - During this technique, Dr. Greenberg will use tissue from the upper back, on the side of the breast that was removed. This tissue will be moved into place on your chest and used to create the new breast with the existing blood supply still attached.
- Deep inferior epigastric artery perforator (DIEP) flap - This technique is similar to a TRAM flap procedure, except the muscle tissue from your abdominal area is preserved. The DIEP flap surgery is one of the most frequently performed breast reconstruction surgeries.
- Gluteal flap - The gluteal flap technique uses skin, muscle, and fatty tissue that is taken from the buttocks to reconstruct the breast. The tissue will be reattached to the blood supply under your arm or behind the breastbone.
- Transverse upper gracilis (TUG) flap - This technique is similar to a gluteal flap, except the skin, fat, and muscle is taken from one of your thighs. The tissue will be moved to your chest to create the new breast and reattached to the existing blood supply.
Contact Our Office
Dr. Greenberg will help you determine which technique is best for you based on a variety of factors. If you have additional questions or would like to learn more about how you can benefit from natural breast reconstruction, please contact our office to make an appointment with Dr. Greenberg.
Get in Touch
461 Park Ave S
Manhattan, NY 10016(212) 319-4999
160 Crossways Park Dr
Woodbury, NY 11797(516) 364-4200
365 County Rd 39A Ste 7
Southampton, NY 11968(631) 287-4999
Boca Raton Office
1599 NW 9th Avenue
Boca Raton, FL 33486(561) 208-1080