Weight loss surgery can be a truly life changing procedure for men and women who struggle with obesity. However, the benefit of extreme weight loss is often hindered for patients when it is accompanied by sagging, excess skin. In fact, this is even a common experience for individuals who have simply undergone a massive change in weight, regardless of whether they have had surgery. Skin that lacks its original elasticity can prevent an individual, despite a healthy diet and/or exercise, from achieving the contoured figure they desire. Because of these reasons, Dr. Greenberg has created packages to help patients struggling post -weight loss with a series of cosmetic surgeries designed to contour one’s physique.
Weight loss and bariatric surgery patients should be aware that body contouring may require surgeons to address the entire body circumferentially and not just one or two specific areas, as is the case with body contouring in more normal weight patients. For someone who loses 100 pounds or more in a short time, particularly after lap band or bariatric surgery, the patient often has sagging skin in a number of areas including the face and neck, breasts, arms, abdomen, back and thighs. The skin and tissue from a bariatric surgery patient differs from other patients because the elastic tissues are usually permanently damaged from being stretched to an extreme degree. After weight loss or bariatric surgery, the patient's skin may still loosen and sag much faster with age. The shape of skin can be improved with body contouring. However, the quality of the skin cannot. Hence, patients seeking body contouring after massive weight loss must be realistic in their expectations.
Plastic surgery procedures should be considered only after weight has stabilized. Post-bariatric surgery is tailored to fit the specific needs of individual patients, starting with the greatest area of concern. Below is a list of common operations performed:
Full Body Lift
- A full body lift is the most common post-weight loss cosmetic surgery. During this procedure extra skin and fat are removed from the belly, hips, buttocks, back and outer thighs.
- A tummy tuck is a cosmetic surgery that removes excess skin and fat while tightening the muscles of the abdominal wall. The results of a tummy tuck are almost immediate.
Upper Arm Lift
- An upper arm lift is a cosmetic surgery that removes extra skin and fat from the arms, dramatically reducing flabbiness.
- A thigh lift removes excess skin and fat from the thighs through incisions or liposuction. A thigh lift improves the contour and tightness of the legs.
- A facelift removes excess skin from not only around the face, but the neck as well.
- Whether it is to regain mass lost or to tighten loose skin around the region, a breast augmentation enhances the appearance of the chest.
– A breast reduction is often a preventative option for individuals after having undergone lap band or bariatric surgery. Not only can a breast reduction help eliminate back pain but it can also enhance ones overall appearance. Men can also opt for this procedure to reduce large mammary glands and tighten loose skin.
- While lap band or bariatric surgery can cause extreme weight loss, there are often fat deposits left between the muscle and skin throughout the body. Liposuction is a type of cosmetic surgery that removes such deposits.